Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
Storage of Onions – A Review
First Online |
modified atmospheric (MA) and controlled atmospheric (CA) storage. The CA and MA storage reduces the application of chemicals for sprout inhibition by manipulating the gas composition to extend the storage period of the onions.
- Abbey, I. (2000). Effect of poultry manure and post production application of fungicide on the shelf life of onion cv. Bawku Red. Crop Research, 20(1): 87-92.
- Adamicki, F. (1989). Przechowywanie warzyw w kontrolowanej atmosferze. Biuletyn Warzywniczy Supplement, I: 107–113.
- Adamicki, F. (2004). Effects of pre-harvest treatments and storage conditions on quality and shelf-life of onions. Acta Hortic, 688: 26–33
- Adamicki, F. and Kepka, A.K. (1974). Storage of onions in controlled atmospheres. Acta Horticulturae, 38:53–73.
- Adamicki, F., Dyki, B. and Malewski, W. (1977). Effects of carbon dioxide on the physiological disorders observed in onion bulbs during CA storage. Qualitas Plantarum, 27:239–248.
- Ali Zulfikar, Ashish Yadav, Tsering Stobdan & Shashi Bala Singh. (2012). Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 11(2):351-353
- Arora, S.K., Randhawa, K.S., Mohan, S. and Gupta, A.K. (1993). Influence of different chemicals on the storage of onion (Allium cepa L.). Maharashtra Journal of Horticulture, 7(2): 93-99.
- Babu, N., Srivastava, S.K., and Suman Agarwal. (2013). Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 12(3): 518-523
- Bag storage. www.thebatavian.com. Date accessed on 28.02.2014
- Bhagachandani, P.M., Pal, N, Singh, N. and Chaudhary, B. (1980). White onion for dehydration. Indian Horticulture, 24(4): 7-9
- Bhatnagar, A.K., Tyagi, R.P.S., and Bansode, P.C. (1989). Handling, storage and marketing of onion. Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth Research Journal, 13(2): 135-139.
- Bhor, S.E. (2003). Economics of production, storage and marketing of rabi onion in Pune district. M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Rahuri.
- Bishop, D.J. (1996). Controlled atmosphere storage. In Dellino, C.J.V. Editor. Cold and Chilled Storage Technology. 53–92.
- Bufler, G. (2009). Exogenous ethylene inhibits sprout growth in onion bulbs. Ann Bot (Lond) 103: 23–28
- Chavan, V.B., Dsouza, T.F., Kokate, S.B. and Sawant, D.M., (1992), Efficacy of storage methods for minimising the bulb rots of onion. Maharashtra Journal of Horticulture, 6(1): 73-75.Chawan, T. and Pflug, I.J. (1968). Controlled atmosphere storage of onion. Michigan Agricultural Station Quarterly Bulletin, 50: 449–475.
- Chengappa, P.G., Manjunatha, A.V., Vikas Dimble, Khalil Shah. (2012). Competitive Assessment of Onion Markets in India. Institute for Social and Economic Change. Competition commission of India.1-86.
- Chope, G.A., Terry, L.A. and White, P.J. (2007). The effect of 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP) on the physical and biochemical characteristics of onion cv. SS1 bulbs during storage. Postharvest. Biol Technol. 44: 131–140
- Controlled atmospheric storage of onions. http://omegaexports.tradeindia.com/storage-godown-1166672.html. Date accessed on 21.1.2013
- Cools. K., Gemma, A., Chope G.A., John P. Hammond., Andrew J. Thompson, and Leon A. Terry. (2011). Plant Physiology, 156: 1639–1652
- Datar, V.V. and Mulekar, V.G. (1989). Investigation on post-harvest decay of onion (Allium cepa L.) in India. Onion Newsletter for the Tropics, November-December: 27-30.
- Date accessed on 01.07.13
- Deka, B.C., Sarma, D.N., Shadeque, A., Bora, G.C. and Baruah, J.N. (1995). Storage behaviour of few onion cultivars under different storage methods. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Science, 24(3-4): 245-250.
- Directorate of onion and garlic research. (2013). Indian council of agricultural research http://www.dogr.res.in/ index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97& Date accessed on 01.05.2013
- FAOSTAT, (2012). Production database of onions. http://faostat.fao.org/site/339/default.aspx.
- Fellows, P.J. (1988). Food Processing Technology. Ellis Horwood, London, New York Toronto, Sydney, Tokyo and Singapore.
- Gadalla, S.O. (1997). Inhibition of sprouting of onions during storage and marketing. PhD thesis, Cranfield University, UK.
- Hanging storage of onions http://sallygardens.typepad.com/sallygardens. Date accessed on 04.03.2014
- Hardenburg, R.E. (1955). Ventilation of packaged produce. Onions are typical of items requiring effective perforation of film bags. Modern Packaging, 28,140:199–200.
- Hardenburg, R.E., Watada, A.E. and Wang, C.Y. (1990). The commercial storage of fruits, vegetables and florist and nursery stocks. United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Agriculture Handbook. 66
- Iordachescu, C.S. and Nihailescu, N. (1979). Studies on the improvement of technology of onion storage in large stores. Journal of Fructerlor, 10(1): 31-37.
- Iordachescu, C.S. and Nihailescu, N. (1983). Studies on the improvement of technology of onion storage in large stores. Journal of Fructerlo, 10(1): 31-37.
- Iordachescu, C.S., Fuel, N., Nihailescu, V. and Turbo. (1983). Studies on the possibilities of storing onions with reduced energy consumption. Agricultural Engineering Abstract, 8: 3.
- Isenberg, F.M.R. (1956). The use of maleic hydrazide on onion. Proc.Amer. Soc.Hort. Sci. 68: 343-350.
- Isenberg, F.M.R. (1979). Controlled atmosphere storage of vegetables. Horticultural Review, 1:337–394.
- Johnson, J. (2006). Onion storage revolution?. The Vegetable Farmer, 2: 25–26
- Kader, A.A. (1985). Modified atmosphere and low-pressure systems during transport and storage. In Kader, A.A., Kasmire, R.F., Mitchell, F.G., Reid, M.S., Sommer, N.F. and Thompson, J.F. Editors. Postharvest Technology of Horticultural Crops. Cooperative Extension, University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 59–60.
- Kader, A.A. (1989). A summary of CA requirements and recommendations for fruit other than pome fruits. Proceedings of the Fifth International Controlled Atmosphere Research Conference, Wenatchee, Washington, USA, 14–16 June, 1989, Vol. 2: 303–328.
- Karmarkar, D.V. and Joshi, M.B. (1941). Investigations on the storage of onions. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 11: 82-89.
- Karthikeyan, C., Veeraragavathatham D., Karpagam D. and Ayisha Firdous, S. (2009). Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 8(2): 225-229
- Kepka, A., Adamicki, F. and Perlowska, M. (1989). The application of a new technique for onion storage. Biuletyn Warzywniczy, 1: 97-105.
- Khurana, S.C. and Singh, C.B. (1984). A note on loss in weight during storage of onion bulbs. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Science, 13(3-4): 186-188.Krishnamurthy, K.C., Viswanath, A.P., Babu, C.K. and Subramany, S., (1987), Bulletin on harvest and post-harvest Technology of onion. University of Agricultural Sciences Research Bulletin, No. UAS/HPST/87/5.
- Kukanoor, (2005). Post – harvest studies in onion Cv. N-53. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Mahadevaswamy K.L., (1984), Studies on the simple storage techniques for onion cv. Ballary red with pre-harvest treatment of maleic hydrazide. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.
- Maini, S.B. and Chakrabarti, A.K., (2000), Post-harvest management of onions and garlic. Souvenir, National Symposium on Onion and Garlic Production and Postharvest Management: Challenges and Strategies, 19-21 November 2000, National Research Centre for Onion and Garlic, Rajgurunagar, Nasik, pp. 25-32.
- Maini, S.B., Diwan, B. and Anand, J.C., (1984), Storage behaviour and drying characteristics of commercial cultivars of onion. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 21(6): 417.
- Maini, S.B., Sagar, U.R., Chandan, S.S. and Rajeshkumar, (1997), Evaluation of different structures for storage of onions. Vegetable Science, 24(1): 73-74.
- Market Intelligence system. (2012). Baseline data for potato and onion. http://sfacindia.com/Docs/ Onion%20&%20Potato%20Baseline%20Report.pdf.Date accessed on 01.08.2013
- Medlicott, A., Brice, T., Salgado, T. and Ramirez, D. (1995). Forced ambient air storage of different onion cultivars. Horticulture Technology, 5(1): 52-57.
- Modified ventilated storage for onions.http://www.msamb.com/schemes/onionstorage.htm. Date accessed on 21.02.2014
- Monzini, A. and Gorini, F.L. (1974). Controlled atmosphere in the storage of vegetables and flowers. Annalidell’Istituto Sperimentale per la Valorizzazione Tecnologica dei Prodotti Agricoli, 5:277–291.
- Mukeshkumar and Kumar, M. (1991). Effect of maleic hydrazide and curing on quality of kharif onion (Allium cepa L.) during storage. Journal of Interacademicia, 4(3): 382-385.
- Murthy, K.C., Vishwanath, A.P., Babu, C.K. and Ramakumar, M.V., (1988), Onion storage in Nasik type structure. Current Research, 17(11): 149-151.
- National Horticultural Research and Development Board. (2012). www.nhrdf.com. Date accessed on 01.03.14
- Pedeliski, A.V. (1973). Extension of onion blub dormancy by plant growth regulators and its importance in water permeability determinations. Hortic. Sci. 8: 416
- Pucca Storage. http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/business/article/india. Date accessed on 06.03.2014
- Rajkumar, R., Lalouette, J.A., Bachraz, D.Y., Sukudeep and Seebaluck, B.D. (1998). Selection of onion cultivars for yield, early maturity and storage potential in Mauritius. Proceedings of the Second Annual Meeting of Agricultural Scientist Reduit,12-13 August, Mauritius.
- Ranpise, S.A., Birade, R.M., Patil, B.T. and Sawant, S.V. (2001). Factors affecting the storage of onion: A Review. The Orissa Journal of Horticulture, 29(1): 1-12.
- Robinson, J.E., Brown, K.M. and Burton, W.G. (1975). Storage characteristics of some vegetables and soft fruits. Annals of Applied Biology, 81:339–408.
- Saltveit, M.E. (1989). A summary of requirements and recommendations for the controlled and modified atmosphere storage of harvested vegetables. Proceedings of the Fifth International Controlled Atmosphere Research Conference, Wenatchee, Washington, USA, 14–16 June, 2: 329–352.
- SeaLand (1991). Shipping Guide to Perishables. SeaLand Services Inc., Iselim, New Jersey, USA.
- Selvaraj, s. (1976). Onion: Queen of the kitchen. Kisan World, 3(12): 32-34
- Shukla, B.D., Gupta, R.K. and Midmore, D.J. (1994). Development and evaluation of concentric type storage structure for onions. Acta Horticulturae, 358:389-394.
- Singh, K. and Singh, D. (1973). Effects of various methods of storage on the keeping quality of onion bulbs. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Science, 2(3-4): 116-122.
- Sitton, J.W., Fellman, J.K. and Patterson, M.E. (1997). Effects of low-oxygen and high-carbon dioxide atmospheres on postharvest quality, storage and decay of ‘Walla Walla’ sweet onions. Seventh International Controlled Atmosphere Research Conference, 13–18 July, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA [abstract], 60.
- Smittle, D.A. (1988). Evaluation of storage methods for ‘Granex’ onions. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 113:877–880.
- Smittle, D.A. (1989). Controlled atmosphere storage of Vidalia onions. Proceedings of the Fifth International Controlled Atmosphere Research Conference, Wenatchee, Washington, USA, 14–16 June, 2:171–177.Stoll, K. (1974). Storage of vegetables in modified atmospheres. Acta Horticulturae, 38:13–23.
- Subbaram, M., Singaravelu, T., Thangaraj and Irulappan, I. (1990). Ventilated bamboo structure for onion storage. Onion Newsletter for the Tropics, 2: 38-41
- Thomas, P., Padwal, Desai, S.R., Srirangarajan, A.N., Joshi, M.R., Janave, M.T., Bhonde, S.R. and Quadri, S.M.H. (1986). Pilot scale storage tests on the efficacy of gamma irradiation for sprout inhibition of onion under commercial storage conditions. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 23(2): 79-84.
- Thomas, T.H. (1969). The role of growth substance in the regulation of onion bulb dormancy. Journal of Experimental Botany, 20: 124-137.
- Tripathi, P.C. and Lawande, K.E. (2003). Onion storage structure for small and marginal farmers. ICAR News, A Science and Technoogy Newsletter, 9(4): 18-19.
- Warade, S.D., Desale, S.B. and Shinde, K.G. (1995). Effect of different recommended practices of storability of onion bulbs cultivars N-2-4-1 under modified storage structure with bottom ventilation. Vegetable Science, 22(2): 122-125.
- Warade, S.D., Desale, S.B. and Shinde, K.G. (1997). Effect of different storage recommendation on storability of onion bulbs. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural Universities, 22(3): 283-285.
- Warade, S.D., Desale, S.B. and Shinde, K.G. (1997). Studies on storage of onion bulbs. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural Universities, 22(3): 336.
- Wittwer, S.H., Sharma, R.C., Weller, L.E. and Sell, H.M., (1950), The effect of pre-harvest foliage sprays of certain growth regulators on sprout inhibition and storage quality of carrots and onions. Plant Physiology, 25: 539-549.
- Yamashita Koichiro, Wataru Sasaki, Kazuo Fujisaki and Hiroshi Haga. (2009). Effects of controlled atmosphere storage on storage life and shelf-life of the Japanese onion cultivar Super-Kitamomiji. 10th International Controlled & Modified Atmosphere Research Conference, 4–7 April 2009, Turkey [poster abstract], 53.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.