INDUCTION OF DORMANCY IN GROUNDNUT - A Review
Citation :- INDUCTION OF DORMANCY IN GROUNDNUT - A Review.Agricultural Reviews.2014.(35):216-224
The non-dormant character in Spanish and Valencia bunch type is undesirable for groundnut cultivation in summer season where at harvest stage of the crop rains are invariably received and cause heavy losses of produce by way of sprouting of pods in the field. It is more problematic in soil areas where moisture retention capacity is high. A loss of 20-50 per cent in bunch groundnut pod yield has been reported due to in situ germination. The search for investigation of non-conventional methods of inducing dormancy in bunch types to save the produce and to retain the seed quality against the field sprouting are of greater importance. In the Spanish bunch type, cultivars possessing 3-4 weeks dormancy will be able to save the field losses due to in situ sprouting when the mature crop is caught in untimely rains. Thus the non-dormant nature of bunch groundnuts, besides reducing the yield, also deteriorates seed and oil quality. Seed availability is also reduced because of field sprouting. The research on these aspects of induction of dormancy in bunch groundnut to avoid losses during rainy season has been reviewed in this article.
- Abenavoli, M. R., Cacco, G., Sorgona, A., Marabottni, R., Paolacci, A.R., Ciaffi, M. and Badiani, M. (2008). The inhibitory effect of coumarin on the germination of durum wheat seed. J. Chemical Ecology., 34(2): 499-507.
- Abrar, A. K. and Jadhav, B. B. (1991). Effect of growth regulators, chemicals and temperature on dormancy in peanut. Ann. Pl. Physiol., 5(1): 36-42.
- Amen, R. D. (1968). A model of seed dormancy. Bot. Rev., 34: 1-31.
- Anonymous. (1999). Screening for seed dormancy. Annual Report 1998-99. National Research Centre for Groundnut, Junagarh, 362 001, Gujarat, India. pp. 35.
- Appalanaida, B. and Murthy, K. S. (1961). Effect of maleic hydrazide on ragi. The Andhra Agric. J., 8: 168-175.
- Ashok Kumar, T. S. (1989). M.Sc. (Agri.) thesis, Univ. Agric. Sci., Dharwad.
- Bailey, W. K. and John, E. Bear. (1972). Seed dormancy of different botanical types of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. American peanut Res. and Edu. Assoc., 5(1): 40-47.
- Barrie, A. M. M., Parker, W., Knights, B. A. and Hendrie, M. R. (1967). Studies on lettuce seed germination. I. coumarin induced dormancy. Dept. of Bot. and Chemistry, University of Glasgow, Glosgo, France.
- Bhapkar, D. G., Patil, P. S. and Patil, V. A. (1986). Dormancy in groundnut. J. Maharashtra agric. Univ., 11(1): 68-71.
- Cutillo, F., Brigida D’Abrosca, Mrina, D. G., Cinzia Di Marino and Annunziata Golino (2003). Cinnamic acid amides from Chenopodium album : effect on seed germination and plant growth. Phytochemistry, 64: 1381-1387.
- Farooqi, A. H. A., Krishna, C., Shukla, Y. N., Uniyal, C. G. and Chandra, K. (1987). Physiological studies on rhizome dormancy in costus specious. Plant Physio. and Biochemistry, 14(1): 53-58.
- Gavrielith, G. H. (1962). A review of problems associated with testing of peanut seeds. Proc. Int. Seed Test. Asso., 27: 357-372.
- Gulek, J. A., Clark, L. E. and Smith, O. D. (1977). Testa comparisons of peanut cultivars. Crop Sci., 17: 777-782.
- Gupta, R. K., Singh, S. S. and Verma, M. M. (1985). Introduction of dormancy in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.) variety T-64 by maleic hydrazide. Indian J. agric. Res., 19(2): 82-86.
- Hull, F. H. (1937). Fla. Arg. Exp. Station Tech. Bull., 314.
- Jagtap, P. B. (2000). Physiological maturity and seed dormancy studies in bunch type groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, PGI, M.P.K.V., Rahuri.
- Jangaard, N. O., Sckerl, M. M. and Schieferstein, R. H. (1971). The role of phenolics and Abscisic Acid in Nutsedge Tuber Dormancy. Weed Sci., 19(1): 17-21.
- Jaydeva B. (2008). M.Sc. (Agri.) thesis, PGI, MPKV, Rahuri.
- Jaykumar, M. and Manikandan, M. (2005). Allopathic potential of Acacia leucopholea on groundnut and sorghum. Research Department of Botany, VHNSH College, Virudhunagar, 626 001.
- John, C. M., Seshadri, C. R. and Rao, M. B. S. (1950). Dormancy of the seeds in groundnut. Madras agric. J., 35: 159-167.
- Joshi, Y. C. and Nautiyal, P. C. (1999). Screening for fresh seed dormancy. Research Accomplishment, Deptt. of Plant Physiology, 54-62.
- Kamla, T., Sadasivan, R. and Rathnam, N. N. (1987). Screening method for dormancy in bunch groundnut. Madras agric. J., 74(2): 114-115.
- Karivartha Raju, T. V. and Rao, J. S. (1972). Effect of Maleic hydrazide (MH) on inducing dormancy in rice. Madras agric. J., 59: 257-261.
- Ketring, D. L. and Morgan, P. W. (1969). Ethylene as a component of emanations from germinating peanut seeds and it’s effect on dormant Virginia type sees. Pl. Physiol., 44: 326-330.
- Khan, A. A. (1982). The physiology and biochemistry of seed development, dormancy and germination Elsevier, Amsterdam, 134-136.
- Kramer, P. J. and Kozolowski, T. T. (1960). Physiology of trees. McGraw Hill, New York.
- Krishnamurthy, K. (1969). Induction of dormancy in groundnt by pre- harvest foliar application of Maleic hydrazide. Indian J. Agril. Sci., 37: 33-36.
- Kumar, T. S. A., Gowda, M. V. C. and Nadaf, H. L. (1991). Seed dormancy in erect bunch varieties of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. Oilseeds Res., 8(2): 166-172.
- Lin, H. and Lin, C. Y. (1971). Studies on seed dormancy of peanuts. J. Taiwan Agric. Res., 20: 49-53.
- Mallik, M. A. B., Puchala, R. and Grosz, F. A. (1994). A growth inhibitory factor from lambsquarers (Chenopodium album). J. Chem. Ecol., 20: 957-967.
- Manon Mani. (2002). Storability of dormant and non-dormant cultivars of groundnut. Seed Res., 30(1): 158-160.
- Mathur, R. K., Manivel, P., Samdur, M. Y. and Bandopadhyay, A. (2000). Screening for fresh seed dormancy in Spanish bunch groundnut. J. Oilseed Res., 17(1): 181-182.
- Matthaws, S. (1975). Seed in relation to ecology in Advances in research and technology of seeds (Thompson, J. Red.) Part-II. Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation Wageningen, 92.
- Mohanti, S. K. and Sahoo, N. C. (1992). Effect of soaking period, seed size and growth regulators on imbibitions and germination of seed of some field crops. Orisa J. agric. Res., 5(1-2): 30-35.
- Nagarjun, P. and G. D. Radder. (1983). Studies on induction of seed dormancy in bunch type groundnut. Seed Res., 11(1): 24.
- Nagarjun, S. S. and Gopalkrishnan, S. (1958). Root inducing substance in groundnut seed. Curr. Sci., 27: 29-30.
- Nagarjun, P., G. D. Radder and V.S. Patil. (1980). Effect of foliar application of maleic hydrazide on seed quality and seedlingvigour in bunch groundnut. Seed Res., 8(2): 121-126.
- Naqvi, H. H. and Hanson, G. P. (1982). Germination and growth inhibitors in guayle (Parthenium argentatum) chaff and their possible influence in seed dormancy. American J. Bot., 69(6): 985-989.
- Narsimha Reddy, S. B. and Swamy, P. M. (1979). Abscisic acid like inhibitors and cytokinins in the developing seeds of dormant and non-dormant varieties of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.). J. Expt. Bot., 30: 37-42.
- Nautiyal, P. C. (2004). Issues related to maintenance of seed viability andregulation of dormancy in groundnut. Groundnut Researchin India, 321-338.
- Nautiyal, P. C., Bandyopadhyay, A. and Ravindra, V. (1993). Problems with defining seed dormancy characteristics of groundnut varieties. J. Oilseeds Res., 10: 271-276.
- Nautiyal, P. C., Ravindra, V. and Misra, J. B. (1996). Research accomplishments, Deptt. of Plant Physiology, NRC on groundnut, Junagarh (GJ), India, 63-69.
- Naylor, A. W. and Davis, E. A. (1950). Bot. Gaz., 112: 112-126.
- Oblidalova, L. and Hradilik, J. (1975). Stimulation of dormancy of barley embryos and its suppression. Acta Universitatis Agriculture Brano A., 23(4) : 855-862.
- Pandya, R. B. and Patel, V. J. (1986). Dormancy in kernels of Spanish and Virgina bunch varieties of groundnut. J. Oilseeds Res., 3(1): 19-27.
- Patil, V. K., Quadar, M. A. and Shinde, V. S. (1991). Oilseed production,constraints, technology and future research needs inMaharashtra : Agric. Situation India, 46: 401-407.
- Rajjou, L., Belghazi, M., Huguet, R., Caroline Robin and Dominique Job. (2006). Proteomic investigation of the effect of salicylic acid on Arabidopsis seed germination and establishment of early defense mechanism. Institute National de la Recherche Ayronomique, Nouzilly, France (M.B.).
- Reddy, P. S., Basu, M. S., Tiwari, S. P., Devidayal and Radhakrishnan, T. (1987). Spanish groundnut strains with fresh seed dormancy. Curr. Sci. India, 56(8): 368-369.
- Reddy, P. S., Zade, V. R. and Deshmukh, S. N. (1985). CGSI-19 : A new Spanish bunch groundnut cultivar with fresh seed dormancy. J. Oilseeds Res., 2: 103-106.
- Schoene, D. C. and Hoffman, O. L. (1949). Science, 109: 588-589.
- Singh, C. B., Verma, R. K., Khan, A. A., Singh, N. B. and Uttam, A. K. (2002). Dormancy behaviour and over coming method in groundnut. Seed Res., 30(2): 211-214.
- Sreeramulu, N. (1974). Changes in endogenous growth regulating compounds during the after ripening of the dormant seeds of groundnut. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenphysiologia, 71(2): 101-107.
- Sreeramulu, N. and Rao, I. M. (1971). Physiological studies on dormancy in seed of groundnut. Aust. J. Bot., 19: 273-280.
- Swain, S. K. and Sahoo, P. 2001. Association of seed dormancy with some pod and kernel characters in groundnut. J. Res. Orissa Univ. Agril. Tech., 19(1, 2): 40-44.
- Swain, S. K., Sahoo, P. and Patnaik, M. C. (2001). Seed dormancy in groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.) variability for intensity and duration. Seed Res., 29(1): 13-17.
- Thakur, M. L. (1976). Phenolic growth inhibitors isolated from dormant bud of sugar Mapde (Acer saccharum Marsh.). J. Expt. Botany, 28: 795-803.
- Toole, V. K., Bailey, W. K. and E. H. Toole (1964). Factor influencing dormancy of peanut seeds. Crop Res. Division. Pl. Physiology, 39: 822-855.
- Upadhyay, H. D. and Nigam, S. N. (1999). Inheritance of fresh seed dormancy in peanut. Crop Sci., 39: 52-56.
- Vaithialingam, R. and Rao, J. S. (1973b). Effect of MH 30 on the total amino acids in non-dormant groundnut. Madras Agril. J., 60(9-12): 1864-1885.
- Vaithialingam, R. and Rao, J. S. (1973a). Induction of dormancy in groundnut by pre-harvest foliar spray of MH- 30 Madras Agril. J., 1973. 6(9-12): 1862-1863.
- Varisai, M. S. and Dorairaj, M. S. (1968). Screening the genetic stock of Arachis hypogea L. for seed dormancy in Madras state. Indian J. Agric. Sci., 28(1): 73-75.
- Varman, P. V. and Raveendran, T. S. (1991). New source of seed dormancy in bunch groundnut. Curr. Res. University of Agricultural Sciences, Banglore. 20(11): 237-238.
- Venu, P., Chetti, M. B., Uppar, D. S., Daddamani, M. B. and Mummigatti, U. V. (1995). Factor influencing seed dormancy in Spanish and Virginia groundnut varieties. J. Oilseed Res., 12(1): 103-108.
- Williams, and Roberts. (2002). The effect of coumarin on Radish seed germination and radicle elongation. Research day Abstract. Regional Univ. Res. Day. Longstone University
- Willims, R. D. and Hougland, R. E. (1982). The effect of naturally occurring phenolic compounds on seed germination. Weed Sci., 30: 206-212.
- Yaw, A. J., Richard, A., Osei, S., Seth, H. O. D. and Adelaide. A. (2008). Inheritance of fresh seed dormancy. African J. Biotech., 7(4): 412-424.
- Zukel, J. W. (1950). Use of MH as a plant growth inhibitors. Agril. Chem., 5: 35-36.