OXYTOCIN : THE CUDDLE HORMONE- A RAVIEW
Citation :- OXYTOCIN : THE CUDDLE HORMONE- A RAVIEW.Agricultural Reviews.2011.(32):295 - 303
The oxytocin hormone has a well established role in let-down of milk and parturition process in dairy animals. However, its harmful effect on health of lactating ruminants has not been established till date though short term effects are known in some species. During the last one decade various actions of oxytocin has been reported but research in lactating animals are still needed to prove the harmful effects. The present review discuss about the synthesis, storage and its wider action in male and females.
Let-down of milk
Role in male and females
Release and inhibition
- Annual Report.(2006). Effect of oxytocin administration on reproduction of buffaloes. National Dairy Research Institute Annual Report, page 19.
- Barberis C, Mouillac B, and Durroux T. (1998). Structural bases of vasopressin/oxytocin receptor function. J. Endocrinol 156: 223-229.
- Bencini, R.(1995). Use of intramuscular oxytocin injections to measure milk output in nondairy sheep, and its effect on milk composition. Australian J. Expertl. Agric., 35 563 – 565.
- Bojanowska, E., Jusczak, M., Guzek, J.W., Dabrowski, (1999). The pineal and oxytocin synthesis. J. Physiol. Pharmacol., 50:121-128.
- Bruckmaier, R. M. and Blum, J. W. (1998). Oxytocin Release and Milk Removal in Ruminants. J. Dairy Sci., 81:939–949.
- Bruckmaier, R. M., and J. W. Blum. (1992). B-Mode of ultrasonography of mammary glands of cows, goats and sheep during and b-adrenergic agonist and oxytocin administration. J. Dairy Res., 59:151–159.
- Bruckmaier, R. M., and J. W. Blum. (1996). Simultaneous recording of oxytocin release, milk ejection and milk flow during milking of dairy cows with and without pre-stimulation. J. Dairy Res. 63:201–208.
- Bruckmaier, R.M., Schams D, and Blum JW. (1994). Continuously elevated concentrations of oxytocin during milking are necessary for complete milk removal in dairy cows. J Dairy Res., 61: 323-334.
- Bruckmaier, R. M., Pfeilsticker, H.U. and Blum, J. W. (1996). Milk yield, oxytocin and b-endorphin gradually normalize during repeated milking in unfamiliar surroundings. J. Dairy Res. 63:191–200.
- Cherepanova V.P. & Belokobylenko V.T.(1974). Milk ejection characteristics in machine milking of mares. Proc. 3rd Ali-Union Symp. Physiol. Principles Machine milking, Borovsk (Dairy Sci. Abstr., 1975: 37, 691).
- Dang, A.K., Singh, Mahendra and Aggarwal, Anjuli. (2002). Role of oxytocin in milk production and health of dairy animals- a review. Indian J.Dairy Sci. 55:191-198.
- Donker, J. D. (1958). Lactation studies. I. Effects upon milk ejection in the bovine of various injection treatments using oxytocin and relaxin. J. Dairy Sci. 41:537.
- Doreau, M. and Boulot, S. (1988). Methods of measurement of milk yield and composition. in nursing mares: a review. INRA, Laboratoire de la Lactation, Thesis, 63122 ,Ceyrat, France.
- Gorewit, R. C. (1979). Method for determining oxytocin in unextracted sera. Characterization in lactating cattle. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 160:80.
- Handler, D. Hoffmann, F. Weber, D. Schams, C. Aurich.(2003).Oxytocin does not contribute to the effects of cervical dilation on progesterone secretion and embryonic development in mares. Theriogenology 66:1397 - 1404
- Kendrick, K. M, Da Costa, A.P, Broad, K.D., Ohkura, S., Guevara, R., Levy, F., and Keverne, E.B. (1997). Neural control of maternal behaviour and olfactory recognition of offspring. Brain. Res. Bull . 44: 383-395.
- Knaggs, G. S. (1963). Blood oxytocin levels in the cow during milking and in the parturient goat. J. Endocrinol. 26:xxiv. 16.
- Lawson, D. M., and G. C. Graf. (1968). Plasma oxytocic activity and intramammary pressure in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 51: 1676. 17
- Linda U. B., Bleck, J. L, Gregory T. B. and Bremel, R. D.(1993). The effects of daily oxytocin injections before and after milking on milk production, milk plasmin, and milk composition. J. Dairy Sci. 74: 2119-2127.
- Linzell, J L Peaker, M and Taylor, J C. (1975.) The effects of prolactin and oxytocin on milk secretion and on the permeability of the mammary epithelium in the rabbit. J. Physiol., 253: 547–563.
- Ludri, R.S. and Singh, Mahendra.(1987). Milk production, dry matter and water consumption of crossbred cows milked with and without oxytocin. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 57: 778-780.
- Merrill, W. G., and R. C. Gorewit. (1981). Some restatements and further thoughts on milking management. Page 93 in Proc. 20th Annu. Mtg.Natl. Mastitis Counc., Louisville, KY.
- Michelle C. L. and Singh, Mahendra.(2008). Influence of Hand and Machine Milking on Incidence of Cisternal and Alveolar Milk yield and Compositional changes in Murrah Buffaloes. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 61:70-73.
- Momongan, V. G. (1969). The effect of milking stimulus and stage of lactation on the levels of oxytocin in the blood during the milking process. Doctoral Diss., Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY.
- Pedersen CA, and Prange AJ.(1979). Induction of maternal behavior in virgin rats after intra-cerebroventricular administration of oxytocin. Proc, Natl, Acad, Sci. USA., 76: 6661-6665.
- Prasad, Jyotsna and Singh, Mahendra.(2001). Somatic cell counts in milk of buffaloes administered oxytocin during early lactation. Asian Austr. J. Anim. Sci, 41: 684-692.
- Richard P, Moos F, and Freund MM. Central effects of oxytocin. Physiol. Rev., 71: 331-370, 1991.
- Sagi, R., Gorewit, R. C. Merrill, W. G and Wilson, D. B. (1980). Premilking stimulation effects on milking performance and oxytocin and prolactin release in cows. J. Dairy Sci. 63:800.
- Sagi, R., Gorewit, R. C and Wilson, D. B. (1980a). Role of exogenous oxytocin in eliciting milk ejection in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 63:2006.
- Sagi, R., Gorewit, R. C. and Zinn, S. A. (1980b). Milk ejection in cows given mechanical stimulation during late lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 63: 1957.
- Schams, D., Mayer, H., Prokopp, A. and Worstorff, A.(1984). Oxytocin secretion during milking in dairy cows with regard to the variation and importance of a threshold level for milk removal. J. Endocrinol. 102:337–343.
- Singh, Mahendra and Aggarwal, Anjali.(2001). Effect of oxytocin administration on certain minerals in the milk of buffaloes. Asian-Austr. J. Anim. Sci.,14: 1523—1526.
- Thackare, H. Nicholson, H.D. and Whittington, K.(2006). Oxytocin—its role in male reproduction and new potential therapeutic uses. Human Reprod. Update, 12:437-448.
- Thomas, C.S., Bruckmaier, R. M., Ostensson, K. and Svennersten-Sjaunja, K.(2005). Effect of different milking routines on milking-related release of the hormones oxytocin, prolactin and cortisol, and on milk yield and milking performance in Murrah buffaloes. J. Dairy Res., 72: 10-18.
- Uvnas-Moberg, K. (2003). Oxytocin facilitates behavioural, metabolic and physiological adaptations during lactation. Applied Anima. Behaviour Sci., 72: 225 – 234.
- Wagner, KU, Young WS, Liu, X, Ginns, E.I., Li, M., Furth, P.A., and Hennighausen, L. (1997).Oxytocin and milk removal are required for post-partum mammary-gland development. Genes Funct 1: 233-244.
- Williams, G.L., and Griffith, M, K.(1992). Maternal behavior and neuroendocrine regulation of suckling-mediated anovulation in cows. J Physiol. Pharmacol., 43: 165-177.
- Witt, DM, and Insel, TR. (1991). A selective oxytocin antagonist attenuates progesterone facilitation of female sexual behavior. Endocrinol., 128: 3269-3276.