INCIDENCE OF CALVING ABNORMALITIES IN DAIRY CATTLE - A REVIEW
Citation :- INCIDENCE OF CALVING ABNORMALITIES IN DAIRY CATTLE - A REVIEW.Agricultural Reviews.2011.(32):140 - 145
Dairying has become an important secondary source of income for millions of rural families and has assumed a most important role in providing employment and income generating opportunity. There has been tremendous progress in dairy production in the country during the last three decades and it has contributed to national income significantly At present milk production in India is about 109.8 million ton (2008-2009) and dairy cows contributes around 40% of total milk produced in India and rest 60% by buffalo (55%) and other species (5%) like goat, camel, etc. As per 18th livestock census (2007), the breedable female crossbred cattle population was 13.24 million (about 21% of total breedable cows); which contribute more than 40% of total cow milk being produced in India. This reveals that the importances of crossbred cows are more as compared to indigenous cows for milk production.
- Bhagat Singh. et al. (1997). Factors affecting reproductive disorders in crossbred and Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 50(1): 69-72.
- Bhatnagar, D. S. and Sharma, R. C. (1985). Reproductive status of Karan Swiss heifers. Agri. Sci. Digest, 5(1): 57-59.
- Bolgov, A. E. 1984. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 52: 6450.
- Chourewar, S. et al. (2002). . Incidence of reproductive disorders in crossbred cows. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 55(5): 313-315.
- Deshmukh, A. W. and Kaikini, A. S. (1999). Incidence of reproductive disorders in Jersey X Sahiwal crossbred cows. Indian Vet. J., 76: 249-250.
- Dutta, J. C. and Dugwekar, Y. C. (1983). A note on the incidence of retained placenta in cows and buffaloes. Livestock Adviser, 8(3): 14.
- Erb, A. E. et al. (1959). Factors influencing prolificacy of cattle. II. Some evidence that certain reproductive traits are additively inherited. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 28: 1273.
- Franz, K. Et al. (1988). Breeding aspects of incidence of mastitis, endometritis and cysts in dairy cows. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 44: 5622.
- Hayes, J. F. and Mangurkar, B. R. (1983). The effects of calving ease on culling and reproductive efficiency in Quebec DHIA herds. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 52: 5209.
- Islam, R. and Nadroo, G. A. (2006). Incidence of abortion and still birth in cattle in an organized farm of Kashmir valley. Indian Vet. J., 83(10): 1127-1128.
- Jadhav, K. L. et al, (1994). Post partum distribution of health disorders in crossbred cows. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 48(3): 247-248.
- Joshi, B. K. et al (1988). Incidence of calving problems and their effect on subsequent performance in buffaloes. Abstr. 2nd World Buffaloe Cong., 152.
- Kaikini, A. S. et al. (1976). Studies on the incidence of normal and pathological termination of pregnancies in dairy animals. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 46: 19.
- Konermann, H. et al (1969). . Fertility and milk yield after dystocia in cattle. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 38:2437.
- Kulkarni, M. D. et al (2002). Incidence of reproductive disorders in indigenous and crossbreds in an organized farm. Indian Vet. J., 79: 1196 -1197
- Kumar, S. and Reddy, K. M. (1986). Studies on calving problems in primiparous crossbred cattle. MSc. thesis. Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.Lalrintluanga, K. (2003). Incidence of abortion in cross-bred dairy cows in Mizoram. Indian Vet. J., 80(1): 74-75.
- Langley, O. H. (1983). Cause and consequences of calving difficulties. Anim. Breed. Abstr., 50: 42.
- Laster, B. B. et al. (1973). Factors affecting dystocia and effect of dystocia on subsequent reproduction in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci., 36:695.
- Mukherjee, K. (1989). Genetic studies on certain disease in Karan Fries cattle using computer databases. MSc. Thesis. Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra.
- Mukherjee, K. et al (1993). Factors affecting reproduction disorders and their association in Karan Fries herd. Indian Vet. J., 70(2): 121–124.
- Pandey, H. S. and Desai, R. N. (1972). Incidence of abortion in crossbred cows in heavy rainfall areas. Indian Vet. J., 63: 521 – 524.
- Pandey, R. P. and Tomar, S. S. (1988). Effect of premature termination of pregnancy on the subsequent performance of Tharparkar cows. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 41(3): 248-251.
- Pandit, R. K. et al. (1982). Incidence of various reproductive disorders in cattle and buffaloes. Livestock Adviser, 7(1): 51.
- Prabhu, S. S. and Chaterjee, S. N. (1970). Incidence of abortion in Indian cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 40: 266.
- Rajala, T. P. J. and Grohn, Y. T. (1998). Effects of Dystocia, Retained Placenta, and Metritis on Milk Yield in Dairy Cows. J. Dairy Sci., 81: 3172–3181.
- Rao, A. V. (1982). Incidence of pre and neonatal calf mortality in livestock farms in Andhra Pradesh. Indian J. Anim. Reprod., 2(1): 29-31.
- Roberts, S. J. (1971). Veterinary Obstetrics and Genital Disease (Theriogenology) 2nd edition. Indian ed. scientific book agency, Calcutta-1.
- Roy, P. K. and Tripathi, V. N. (1989). Incidence of different types of calving and its effect on various economic traits of crossbred cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 42(3): 440-448.
- Saloniemi, H. et al. (1986). Anim. Breed Abstr., 55:2020.
- Satya pal, 2003. Investigation on health disorders in dairy cattle and buffaloes during pre and post partum period. Ph.D thesis submitted to NDRI, Karnal.
- Sauerer, G. et al. (1988). Dystocia has after effects .effects on losses, subsequent fertility and milk production . Anim. Breed Abstr., 56: 5536.
- Sethi, R. K. and Balaine, D. S. (1978). An approach to quantification of threshold traits in dairy cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 48: 344.
- Sharma, K. N. S., Jain, D. K. (1982). Genetic and nongenetic factors affecting prenatal mortality in bovines. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 53(8): 799-802.
- Singh, C. V. and Singh, R. V. (1998). Genetic parameters of different reproductive disorders in crossbred and Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 68(5): 494-495.
- Singh, R. N. (1979). Influence of breed groups (Zebu X Exotic) on health, production and breeding efficiency. Ph.D Thesis. NDRI, Karnal.
- Tomar, S. S. and Tripathi, V. N. (1988). Standardization of data on lactation performances of Murrah buffaloes affected with various diseases. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 41(3): 244-247.
- Tomar, S. S. and Verma, G. S. (1988). . Genetic variability in the components of replacement in Karan Fries cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 58(10): 1204 – 1208.
- Tomar, S. S. et al. (1975). Genetic and non-genetic variations in prenatal calf losses. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 45: 533.
- Urade, G.K. (2001). Incidence of reproductive disorders in pure Sahiwal and crossbred cows in Vidharba region of Maharashtra. Indian Vet. J., 78: 741–742.
- Vaccaro, R. and Vaccaro, L. D. (1981). . Age at first calving and reproductive traits in daughters of Brown Swiss and Friesian bulls. Anim. Breed Abstr., 52: 6555.
- Van Dorp, T. E. et al. (1998). Genetic parameters of health disorders and their relationships with 305 days milk yield and conformation traits of registered Holstein cows. J. Dairy Sci., 81(8): 2264-2270.
- Yaillard, C. and Charaz, J. (1982). Genetic parameters for calving performance in Simmental cattle. Anim. Breed Abstr., 51: 1481.