PRESENT STATUS OF BER PRODUCTION AND FUTURE THRUSTS IN INDIA- A REVIEW
Citation :- PRESENT STATUS OF BER PRODUCTION AND FUTURE THRUSTS IN INDIA- A REVIEW .Agricultural Reviews.2012.(33):256 - 264
The ber (Zizyphus mauritiana) is an important fruit crop for arid and semi arid regions in tropical and sub tropical regions. Its origin is India. It is known for its ability to withstand adverse conditions. It is truly a desert apple of Thar Desert. It can be processed to prepare murabba, pulps, jam and beverage.Z. mauritiana cultivated in the tropical and subtropical regions of Indian regions. The commercial method of vegetative propagation is by budding. The best method widely adopted is shield budding (T or I budding). Success in micro propagation of ber in vitro from stem explants of mature tree was reported. Leguminous crops are preferred as intercrop. Ber fruits followed a double sigmoid growth curve. Fruits having a specific gravity of
Varieties and Future planning.
- Angamuthu, M; Sharma,V.P; Singh,S.K; Jindal,P.C; Saxena, S.K and Virendra Nath (2004). Effect of IAA on compatibility and fruit development in ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.). Indian Journal of Horticulture, 61: 359-361
- Bajwa,G.S; Bal,J.S; Brar,S.S and Minhas,P.P.S. (1993). Chemical weed control in ber orchards. Integrated weed management for sustainable agriculture. Proceedings of an Indian Society of Weed Sci. International Symposium, Hisar, India, 18-20 Nov. Vol. III, 225-227; [En. 2 ref.] Department of Horticulture, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana 141 004, Punjab, India.
- Bal, J.S; Singh, M.P and Sandhu,A.S. (1997).Evaluation of rootstocks for ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.). J. Res. Punjab Agri. Univ, 34: 60-63.
- Bhasker, M.L; Jitendra, Singh; Johr, S.K. (2006). Effect of packaging material and chemicals on quality of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) fruits under zero energy cool chamber and ambient storage conditions. Scientific Horticulture, 10: 159-164
- Bisla, S.S., Dhiman, B.K. and Chharia, A.S. (1991). Effect of pruning severity and spacing on flowering and fruiting behaviour of ber (Z. mauritiana) cv. Umran. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 20: 26-30.
- Bose,T.K; Mitra, S.K and Sanyal, D (2002). Fruits: Tropical and subtropical. Published by Naya Udyog, Calcutta. Pp.209-256.
- Chattopadhyay, T.K. (2007). A text book on Pomology (Subtropical fruits) Vol Ø. Published by Kalayani Publishers, Ludhiana.
- DalaI,R.P.S; Godara, A.K and Thakur, A.A. (2008). Evaluation of Ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) cultivars for fruit quality under semi-arid condition. Environment and Ecology, 26: 1685-1687
- Ghosh, S.N. (2009). Propagation studies in ber for multiplication in nursery and in Situ. Acta-Horticulturae, (840): 321-326
- Gupta, I.C; Singh, P.M; Yadava, N.D and Sharma, B.D. (1991). Note on performance of ber during establishment under conventional and Jaltripti irrigation systems. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 48: 222-227.
- Hari, Dayal; Singh, D; Lal, G; Singh, S.K. (2010). Effect of nitrogen, phosphorus and zinc fertilization on soil nutrients status and yield of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk) cv Gola in arid and semi-arid regions. Environment-and- Ecology, 28: 328-331
- Kumar, Sunil; Ram, S.N and Baig, M.J. (2002). Effect of pruning levels on yield and quality of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana L.) cultivars. Range Management and Agroforestry, 23: 59-62
- Mahendra; Singh, H.K and Singh, J.K. (2009). Studies on integrated nutrient man on vegetative growth, fruiting behaviour and soil fertilizer status of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) orchard cv. BANARASI KARAKA. Asian Journal of Horticulture, 4: 230-232
- Mankar, S. W; Dod, V. N. and Bharad, S. G. (1997). Effect of different methods of seed germination in ber. Crop Research (Hisar), 14: 437-439.
- Navjot; Anirudh, Thakur; Dalal, R.P.S; Brar, J.S and Arora, N.K. (2007). Evaluation of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) in arid conditions of Punjab. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 36: 57
- Pareek, O. P. (1983). The Ber. ICAR, New Delhi, India.
- Pareek, O. P. and Vashistha, B.B. (1983). Delicious ber varieties of Rajasthan. Indian Horticulture, 28: 13-15.
- Pareek, O.P. (1988). Present status and future needs for genetic resources activities in arid zone fruits. In: Plant Genetic Resources-Indian Perspective (Paroda et al., Eds.), NBPGR, New Delhi, Pp. 320-334.
- Pareek, O.P. (1978). Quicker way to raise ber (Z. mauritiana) orchards. Indian Horticulture, 28:13-15.
- Raj Bhansali, R. (1999). In: Research Development Priorities for Arid Zone beyond 2000 AD, (Eds. S.K.Verma, R.Raj Bhansali, S.K.Jindal and V.Vir), Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur.
- Randhawa, J.S; Jawandha, S.K; Mahajan, B.V.C and Gill, P.P.S. (2009). Effect of different pre-harvest treatments on quality of ber fruit during cold storage. Journal of Food Science and Technology Mysore, 46: 174-176
- Saroj, P.L; Dhandar, D.G; Sharma, B.D; Bhargava, R. and Purohit, C.K. (2003). Ber base agri horti system: A sustainable land use for arid ecosystem. Indian J. Agroforestry, 5: 30-35.
- Shen, X.D; Gao, F.G; Chen, B.C and Wang, Y. (1992). Ningxia J. Agro-Forestry Sci. Technol. 2: 32-34.
- Singh, H. B and Arora, R. K. (1978). Wild edible plants of India, ICAR, New Delhi
- Singh, R. S. (1997). Note on the effect of intercropping on growth and yield of ber (Ziziphus mauritiana Lamk.) in semi- arid regions. Current Agriculture, 21: 117-118.
- Singh, S.P; Abhay, Mankar; Mariya, Sadaf. (2010). In vitro clonal propagation of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lam.). Environment and Ecology, 28: 241-243
- Singh, Sanjay; Singh, A.K; Joshi, H.K; Bagle, B.G and Dhandar, D.G. (2008). Storability of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk) fruit in semi arid environment. Journal of Food Science and Technology Mysore, 45: 65-69.
- Singh, Sultan; Singhrot, R.S and Bhatia, S.K. (2004). Vegetative propagation of ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) and economic analysis. Haryana Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 33: 40-42
- Vashishtha, B.B. (1982).Horticultural qualities of Zizyphus nummularia - Bordi, CAZRI Monograph, Jodhpur.
- Vashishtha, B.B. and Pareek, O.P. (1983). Preliminary studies on the intervarietal crossability in ber (Zizyphus mauntiana). Annals of Arid Zone, 22: 43-45.
- Vashishtha, B.B. and Pareek, O.P; Chandrasekharan, I. and Ghanim, A. (1989). Chemotaxonomic relationship among jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) cultivars and some related species. Annals of Arid Zone, 28: 132-132.
- Vithiani, V.A and Patel, H.V. (2010). Production of functional vinegar from Indian jujube (Zizyphus mauritiana its antioxidant properties. Journal of Food Technology, 8: 143-149
- Yadav, D.N and Chaturvedi, O.P. (2005). Influence of GA and trace elements on fruit drop, growth and quality of (Zizyphus mauritiana Lamk.) cv. Banarsi Karaka. Farm Science Journal, 14: 27-28
- Yadav, L. S. (1991). Top-working in wild jujube. Indian Horticulture, 35: 7.