UTILIZATION OF INDIGENOUS PLANT SPECIES IN TOBACCO CROP PROTECTION IN INDIA - A REVIEW
Citation :- UTILIZATION OF INDIGENOUS PLANT SPECIES IN TOBACCO CROP PROTECTION IN INDIA - A REVIEW.Agricultural Reviews.2014.(35):142-147
Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) an important industrial crop in India, is regularly subjected to the attack of pest and disease pathogens causing economic loss in yield and significant deterioration in leaf quality. Effective control of foliage feeding insect pests with neem seed kernel extract (1-2%), nematodes with neem powder granules (5%) and diseases with essential oils (500-2000 ppm) have been reported. Having potential for ecofriendly and low cost pest management, integration of plant-derived products with other compatible measures is discussed.
Crude/formulated products; Integrated management; Pests and diseases; Tobacco crop.
- Akhtar, M. (2000). Nematicidal potential of the neem tree, Azadirachta indica (A. Juss.) Integr. Pest Manage. Rev.5: 57-66.
- Alagar, M., Sivasubramanian, P. (2007). Safety of botanicals and insecticides to Chrysoperla carnea Stephens and egg parasitoid, Trichogramma chilonis Ishii. Indian J.Entomol.69: 71-77.
- Anonymous. (2010). Control of Insect Pests. Bulletin, Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Anonymous. (2011). Vision 2030. Central Tobacco Research Institute, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Chand,A, Tiwari, R. (2010). Influence of cow urine and indigenous plant leaf extracts on feeding potential and larval weight of Spodoptera litura (Fabricius). J. Insect Sci. 23: 313-317.
- Chenchaiah, K.C. (2008). Validation of IPM modules for important pests of FCV tobacco under SLS conditions.J. Ecofriendly Agric.3(2): 130-133.
- Fox, J. (2011).HIV drugs made in tobacco.Nature Biotechnol.29: 852.
- Gahukar, R.T. (1995).”Neem in plant protection”1st ed., Agri-Horticultural Publishing House, Nagpur, India.Gahukar, R.T. (1998).Commercial and industrial aspects of neem-based pesticides.Pestology 22 (10): 5-41.
- Gahukar, R.T. (2010). Role and perspective of phytochemiclas in pest management in India. Current Science 98(7): 897-899.
- Gahukar, R.T. (2012). Evaluation of plant-derived products against pests and diseases of medicinal plants. Crop Prot.42: 202-209.
- Gahukar, R.T. (2014).Potential and utilization of plant products in pest control. In:‘Integrated pest management: current concepts and ecological perspective’,[Abrol, D.P.(ed.)].Elsevier Inc., New York, USA,pp 125-139.
- Gupta, V.K., Ahlawat, S.P., Kumar, R.V., Datta, A. (2010). Effect of season and year on azadirachtin A and oil content in neem (Azadirachta indica A. Juss.) seeds and relationship of azadirachtin A and oil content with rainfall, temperature and humidity. Curr. Sci.99: 953-956.
- Highi, G., Hatami, A. (2010). Simultaneous quantification of flavonoids and phenolic acids in plant materials by a newly developed isocratic high performance liquid chromatography approach. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58: 10812- 10816.
- Hummelbrunner, L.A., Isman, M.B. (2001). Acute, sublethal, antifeedant and synergistic effects of monoterpenoids essential oil compounds on the tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Lep., Noctuidae). J. Agric. Food Chem.49: 715-720.
- Joshi, B.G., Ramaprasad, G. (1975). Neem kernel as an antifeedant against the tobacco caterpillar. Phytoparasitica 3: 59-61.
- Joshi, B.G., Ramaprasad, G., Sitaramaiah, S. (1978a).Neem kernel suspension protects tobacco nurseries. Indian Farming 28(9):17-18.
- Joshi, B.G., Ramaprasad, G., Sitaramaiah, S. (1978b). Relative efficacy of neem kernel, fentin acetate and fentin hydroxide as antifeedants against the tobacco caterpillar, Spodoptera litura Fabricius, in the nursery. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 48: 19-21.
- Joshi, B.G., Ramaprasad, G., Rao, S.N.(1984).Neem seed kernel suspension as an antifeedant for Spodoptera litura in a planted flue-cured virginia tobacco crop. Phytoparasitica 12: 3-12.
- Koul, O. (2008). Phytochemicals and insect control: an antifeedant approach.Crit. Rev. Plant Sci.27: 1-24.
- Kumar, N., John, P., Patel, B.N. (2010). Management of mosaic disease of Nicotiana rustica. Biopesticides Intl.6:146-153.
- Mahendra, K., Narasimha Rao, C.V., Murthy, V.L.N., Balamuralikrishna, K. (2011).Development of high value phytochemicals from green tobacco.Intl J Chem. Res.1: 23-28.
- More, S.A., Kabre, G.B., Saindane, Y.S. (2005). Effect of various insecticides on larval period of Chrysoperla carnea (Stephens).J. Insect Sci.18: 111–113.
- Prasad, J.V. (2012). Bioefficacy of botanicals against Spodoptera litura and Helicoverpa armigera on tobacco. Indian J.Entomol.74: 90-92.
- Rajguru, M., Sharma, A.N., Banerjee, S. (2011). Assessment of plant extracts fortified with Bacillus thuringiensis (Bacillales: Bacillaceae) for management of Spodopera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Intl. J. Trop. Insect Sci.31: 92-97.
- Ramakrishnan, S., Gunasekaran, C.R., Vadivelu, S., Viswanath, S.M.(1999). Effect of various aqueous leaf extracts on the larval mortality of Meloidogyne incognita infesting tobacco. Tobacco Res.25: 37-39.
- Ramakrishnan, S., Sreenivas, S.S., Shenoi, N.M. (2007).Nico-Neem 5G: A botanical nematicide for root knot nematode management in FCV tobacco nursery. Pestology 31(11): 46-47.
- Ramaprasad, G., Sitaramaiah, S., Joshi, B.G., Rao, S.N. (1987). Relative efficacy of neemseed kernel suspension, some synthetic pyrethroids and insecticides against Spodoptera litura F. in tobacco nurseries. Indian J Plant Prot.15: 190-192.
- Reveling, R., Ely, SO. (2006). Side effects of botanical insecticides derived from Meliaceaeon coccinellid predators of the date palm scale.Crop Prot.25:1253-1258.
- Sahayaraj, K., Namasivayan, S.K.R., Rathi, J.M. (2010). Compatibility of entomopathogenic fungi with extracts of plants and commercial botanicals. African J.Biotechnol.10: 933-938.
- Seema, M,. Devaki, N.S. (2010). Effect of some essential oils on Rhizoctonia solani Kuhn. Infecting flue-cured virginia tobacco. J Biopesticides 3: 563-566.
- Sidhu, O.P., Vishal, K., Behl, H.M. 2004. Variability in triterpenoids (nimbin and salanin) composition of neem among different provenances of India. Ind. Crops Prod.19: 69-75.
- Singh, R., Rup, R.J., Koul, O. 2008.Bioefficacy of Eucalyptus camaldulensis var.obtusa and Luvunga scadens essential oils against Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae).Biopesticides Intl.4: 128-137.
- Sitaramaiah, S., Ramaprasad, G., Joshi, B.G. (1986). Efficacy of diflubenzuron and neem seed kernel suspension against the tobacco caterpillar, Spodoptera litura in tobacco nurseries. Phytoparasitica14: 265- 271.
- Vir, S. (2007).Neem genetic diversity in India and its use as biopesticide and biofertilizer.Indian J. Plant Prot.35: 185-193.