UTILISATION OF POULTRY EXCRETA AS A RUMINANT FEED – A REVIEW
Citation :- UTILISATION OF POULTRY EXCRETA AS A RUMINANT FEED – A REVIEW.Agricultural Reviews.2014.(35):136-141
Poultry excreta has the most economic value for use as animal feed. Poultry excreta in ruminant ration could have a considerable effect on reducing costs, increasing level of protein in diet, and on solving disposal problems. Generally poultry excreta are high in fibre and ash. Poultry excreta appear to have energy concentration, calcium, nitrogen and phosphorous levels exceeding that of some high quality hay. Poultry excreta are rich sources of many minerals. Poultry excreta is an economical source of supplemental crude protein and minerals to ruminants. Poultry excreta can be used in livestock feed specially in country like India where there is large shortage of nutritious feed. Research showed that growing and lactating animals accept these poultry wastes in concentrate supplements. Safer limit seems to be 30% in concentrate mixtures. These mixtures are readily acceptable and palatable.
- Ahuja, A.K. ,Sethi, R.P. , Makkar, G.S. , Langar, P.N. (1983)Bioconversion of poultry droppings through fermentation. Indian J AnimSci .53 (4):445-447.
- Bakshi M P S and Fontenot J P (1998). Processing and nutritive evaluation of broiler litter as livestock feed. Animal Feed Science and Technology74: 337-345.
- Barnes K. C. Smith S. C., Britton J. G. and Miller D. M. (1997).Effect of poultry litter on winter weight gain of beef cows. Research Report
- Bolan N.S., Szogi A.A., Chuasavathi T., Seshadri B., Rothrock M.J. Jr. And Panneerselvam P. (2010). Uses and management of poultry litter, World’s Poultry Science Journal, 66: 673-698.
- Cawell LF, Fontenot JP, Webb, Jury KE (1985). Effect of processing treatment on pasteurization and nitrogen components of broiler litter and on nitrogen utilization by sheep.Journal of Animal Science. 40: 750-759.
- Chaudhry S. M. and Naseer Z. (2012).Processing and Nutritional Value of Broiler Litter As A Feed for Buffalo Steers.The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 22(3 Suppl.): 358-364 ISSN: 1018-7081.
- Cross, D.L. (1995). Feeding Poultry Litter to Beef Cattle.Clemson Extension Publication LL52.
- Daniel, L. B., Smith, N. J., Stallcup, O. T. and Rakes, J. M. (1983).Nutritive value of ensiled broiler litter for cattle.Anim. Feed. Sci. Technol. 8: 19-34.
- El-Ashry, M.A. El-Basiony, A.Z. Hamdy, S.M., Fouad, F.A.(1994). Sun dried broiler litter in lactating dairy buffalo rations, Egypt. J. Anim. Prod.31 (2): 189.
- Elemam MB, Fadelelseed AM and Salih AM (2009). Growth performance, digestibility, nitrogen balance and rumen fermentation of lambs fed different levels of deep-stack broiler litter. Research Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 4: 9-16.
- Elemam M. B. , Fadelelseed A. M., Bushara I., Abdelhadi O. M. A., Idris A. O. and Salih A. M.(2012). The effect of deep stacking broiler litter on chemical composition and In Vitro Gas Production J. Anim sci Adv (Suppl. 3.2): 306-311
- Flegal, C. J. and Zindel H. C. (1971). Dehydrated poultry waste (DPW) as a feedstuff in poultry rations. Proc. Int. Sym. On Livestock Wastes, ASAE, St. Joseph, MI,:305.
- Gerken, J.H., (1987). Feeding broiler litter to beef cattle and sheep.Beef Sci. Technol., :400-754.
- Griffith DLV.(1993). Shredded paper for litter. Broiler growers in Barbados are trying shredded paper as litter instead of sugar-cane bagasse. Poultry Science32 (1) :70,72.
- Ibeawuchi J.A., Danjuma A. andOguntona T. (1993). The value of dried poultry waste as a protein supplement for growing Bornu white goats. Disc. Innovat. 5(1), 63-68.
- Kelley, T.R., Pancorbo, O.C., Merka, W.C., Thompson, S.A., Cabrera, M.L., Barnhart, H.M., (1998). Bacterial pathogens and indicators in poultry litter during re-utilization. J. Appl. Poultry Res.4:366–373.
- Khattab, H.M., El-Ashry, M.A., El-Serafy, A.M., Soliman, H.S., (1999) . Wood shaving duck litter in ration for growing lambs, Agric. Wastes, 4: 25
- Kwak, W. (1990). Solubility, degradability and utilization by ruminants of broiler litter processed by ensiling, deepstacking and composting. Ph.D. Dissertation, Virginia Poly. Inst. & State Univ., Blacksburg.
- Masri M.R. Zarkawi A1, M. (1999). Digestibility and composition of broiler litter, as affected by gamma Irradiation. Bioresource Technology. 69:129-132
- Mathers, A. C. and Stewart B. A.. (1971). Crop production and soi1 analyses as affected by applications of cattle feedlot waste. In: Livestock waste management and pollution abatement. Proc. Int. Symp. on Livestock Wastes. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI. : 229.
- Messer j. W., Lovett J., Murthy K. G., Wehby A. J., Schafer M. L. and Read R. B.(1971). An assessment of some public health problems resulting from feeding poultry litter to aninýal.’. Micro biological and ehemicalparameter’s. Poultry Sci. 5: 874- -881.
- Murthy,K.S.., Reddy,M.R. and Reddy, G.V.K.(1995).Utilization of cage layer droppings and poultry litter as feed supplements for lambs and kids Small Ruminant Research.,16:221-225.
- Muwalla, M.M., Abo-Shehada, M.N., Tawfeek, F., AbuirmellehN.M., Hill, H., (1995). Use of dried poultry litter in the diets ofpregnant and lactating Awassi ewes.Trop. Anim. Health Prod 27: 106–112.
- Ngele, M. B., T. A. Adegbola, S. E. S. Bogoro, A. Chiroma and G. T. Williams.(2003). Effect of processing methods on the Nutrient composition and pathogenic microbial flora of poultry litter.Agriculture, Business and Technology Journal.1(2):37-140
- Ngodigha E. M. and Owen O.J. (2009).Evaluation of the bacteriological characteristics of poultry litter as feedstuff for cattle.Scientific Research and Essay4 (3): 188-190.
- NRC. (1983). Underutilized Resources as Animal Feedstuffs. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Patil, A.R., Goetsch, A.L., Galloway, Sr. D.L., Forster, Jr. L.A., (1993). Intake and digestion by Holstein steer calves consuminggrass hay supplemented with broiler litter. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:251–263.
- Paul, B.N., B.S. Gubta and J.P. Srivastava, (1993). Influence of feeding unconventional cakes and poultry manure mixture on growth and feed efficiency in crossbred calves. Indian J. Anim. Nutr., 10: 169-171.
- Ramanaiah, J.V., Prasad, T.R., Krishna, N., (1998). Comparative evaluation of kids and lambs fed on cottonseed hulls and poultry waste based concentrate mixture. Indian J. Anim. Nutr.15:25–29.
- Reddy, D.V. (1994).Effect of supplementation of caged poultry droppings and wheat bran on rumen degradation kinetics and nutrient utilization in buffalo calves fed rice straw.Indian J. Anim. Sci.64(12): 1388-1389.
- Rodriguez,I., and Tamasankas, R.(1998). Revista-Cientifica-Faculatad-de-Ciencias-Veterinairas-Universidad-del-Zulia.8:56-58.
- Rossi J. E. and Loerch S. C. (1999). Poultry Manure as a Protein and Mineral Supplement in High Concentrate Diets Limit-Fed to Gestating and Lactating Beef Cows Madison Avenue, Wooster, OH44691: 330-263-3903.
- Ryu et al., (1998). Y.W. Ryu, Y.D. Ko and S.M. Lee ,(1998) Effects of mixing ratio of applepomace, sesame oil meal and cage layer excreta on feed quality of rice straw silage.Korean J. Anim. Sci.40 (3), 245–254.
- Saleh H.M., K.M Elwan, H.A El-fouly, I.I Ibrahim, A.M Salama and M.A Elashry, (2003).The use of poultry waste as a dietary supplement for ruminants.Egyptian Journal of Nutrition and Feeds,3: 1-8.
- Savsani H. H. (1999). Feed lot performance of weaner lamb on non-conventional total mixed ration, M. V. Sc. Thesis submitted to Gujarat University, SDAU, Dantiwada.
- Silva, L.A., H.H. Vanhorn, E.A. Alaloka, C.J. Wilcox And B. Harris, Jr. (1976). Complete Rations For Dairy Cattle Vii. Dried Poultry Waste For Lactating Cows.J. Dairy Sci. 59:2071.
- Smith, L. W.; C. C. Calvert and H. R. Cross (1978).Dehydrated poultry excreta vscottonseed meal as a nitrogen supplements for Holstein steers. J. Anim. Sci. 48:633.
- Staples, C. R., Fernando, R. L., Fahey, G. C., Berger, Jr., L. L. and Jasper, E. H. (1985).Effects of intake of mixed diet by steerson digestion events. J. Dairy Sci. 67: 995–1001.
- Tokarani, C.H., Dobereinen, J., Peixoto, P.V. and Moraes, S.S.(2000) Outbreak of copper poisoning in cattle fed poultry litter. Vet and HumenToxicology 42(2):92-95.
- Tomar S.K., Chauhan S.S.( 1998). Dried Poultry Litter Supplementation to Crossbred Heifers Fed on Green Oats.Indian Journal of Animal Nutrition 15(2):104-107
- Toro V.A.; Mudgal V.D. (1983). Silage prepared from poultry litter. Indian-Journal-of-Animal-Sciences 53(8) :803-806.