Chief EditorPradeep K. Sharma
Print ISSN 0253-1496
Online ISSN 0976-0741
NAAS Rating 4.63
SUSTAINABLE RURAL LIVELIHOOD SECURITY THROUGH INTEGRATED FARMING SYSTEMS - A REVIEW
First Online |
- Agbonlabor, M. U., Aromolaran, A. B. and Aiboni, V. I. (2003). Sustainable soil management practices in small farms of Southern Nigeria: A poultry-food crop integrated farming approach. J. Sustain. Agr., 22: 51-62.
- Agriculture Census. (2010). Department of Agriculture & Co-operation, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Ashby, J. A. (2001). Integrating research on food and the environment: An exit strategy from the rational fool syndrome in agricultural science. Ecol. Soc., 5.
- Behera, U. K., Jha, K. P. and Mahapatra, I. C. (2004). Integrated management of available resources of the small and marginal farmers for generation of income and employment in eastern India. Crop Research, 27(1): 83-89.
- Craswell, E. T. (1998). Sustainable crop and soil management on sloping lands. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Asian Agriculture in the 21st Century. Food and Fertilizer technology Center for the Asian and Pacific, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC, 9-12 June.
- Csavas, I. (1992). Regional review on livestock-fish production systems in Asia. In: [Mukherjee, T. K., Moi, P. S., Panandam, J. M. and Yang, Y. S. (Eds.)], Proceedings of the FAO/IPT workshop on integrated livestock-fish production systems, 16-20 December 1991, Institute of Advance Studies, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Dalsgaard, J. P. T. and Oficial, R. T. (1997). A quantitative approach for assessing the productive performance and ecological contribution of smallholder farms. Agr. Syst., 55: 503-533.
- De Jong R. and Ariaratne M. G. (1994). Performance of dairy farming on abandoned marginal tea lands in the mid country Sri Lanka. In:, Dairy Stock Development and Milk Production with Smallholders. [de Jong R. (ed)] Wageningen, the Netherlands. Pp. 148-192.
- Devasenapathy, P., Mytswamy, V., Christopher Louduraj, A. and Rabindran, R. (1995). Integrated farming systems for sustained productivity. Madras Agricultural Journal, 82: 306-307.
- Dwivedi, R. P., Tewari, R. K., Kareemulla, K., Chaturvedi, O. P. and Rai, P. (2007). Agri-horticultural system for household livelihood - A case study. Indian Research Journal of Extension Education, 7 (1): 22-26.
- Edwards, P. (1997). Sustainable food production through aquaculture. Aquaculture Asia. Volume 2. School of Environment, Resources and Development, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Pathumthani, Thailand.
- Felipe, M., Ana, I. and Carlos, M. (2007). Risk management, vulnerability and risk perception of organic farmers in Spain. The 101st EAAE Seminar, Management of Climate Risks in Agriculture, Berlin, Germany. Department of Agricultural Economy of Coag Spanish Farmers Organisation, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fraser, E. D. G., Mabee, W. and Figge, F. (2005). A framework for assessing the vulnerability of food systems to future shocks. Futures, 37: 465–479.
- Jayanthi, C., Rangasamy, A. and Chinnusamy, C. (2000). Water budgeting for components in lowland integrated farming systems. Agricultural Journal, 87:411-416.
- Jayanthi, C., Vennila, C., Nalini, K. and Chandrasekaran, B. (2009). Sustainable integrated management of crop with allied enterprises- Ensuring livelihood security of small and marginal farmers. Special Feature: Sustainable Agriculture.
- Jirli, B., Bhati, D. S. and De, D. (2008). Diversifying cropping system with rapeseed mustard – An approach to sustain livelihood. In proceedings of international seminar on strategies for Improving Livelihood Security of Rural Poor, Goa, India, pp: 201-202.
- Kumar H., Singh J. N., Kadian V. S., Singh K. P., Saxena K. K. and Kumar H. (1994). Comparative productivity and economics of dairy enterprises under mixed farming systems. Farming Systems, 10:36-44.
- Kumar, S. and Jain, D. K. (2005). Are linkages between crops and livestock important for the sustainability of the farming system? Asian Economic Review, 47(1):90-101.
- Lightfoot C., and Minnick, D. R. (1991). Farmer-first qualitative methods: Farmers diagrams for improving methods of experimental design in integrated farming systems. Journal for Farming Systems Research and Extension, 2:11-34.
- Limpinuntana, V., Trelo-ges, V., Vityakon, P., and Patanothai, A. (2001). Sustainability analysis of existing land-use systems in northeast Thailand. In: Integrated Livestock-fish Systems [Little, D. C., and Edwards, P.ed]. FAO, Rome, Italy.
- Liyanage de Silva M., Jayasundara H. P. S., Fernando D. N. S., Fernando M. I. N. and Liyanage de Silva M. (1993). Integration of legume based pasture and cattle into coconut farming systems in Sri Lanka. Journal of Asian Farming Systems Association, 1:579-588.
- Mahapatra, I. C. (1992). Farming systems research challenges and opportunities. Eastern Indian Farming System Research & Extension, Newsletter, 6(4):3-10.
- Mangala, B. (2008). Impact of agricultural interventions on socio-economic status of Bharatiya Agroindustries Foundation (BAIF) beneficiary farmers. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka.
- NAAS (National Academy of Agricultural Sciences). (2009). State of Indian Agriculture, New Delhi.
- Nageswaran, M., Selvaganapathy, E., Vijay, R. and Sudha, N. (2009). Demonstration and replication of integrated farming systems at Chidambaram, M. S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai.
- NCAER (National Council of Applied Economic Research). (2009). Publications on agriculture, New Delhi.
- Noble, A. D., and Ruaysoongnern, S. (2002). The role of indigenous technology and science in rehabilitating degraded light textured soils using high activity clays and bioremediation. International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and Khon Kaen University (KKU), Thailand.
- Okigbo, B. N. (1995). Major farming systems of the lowland savanna of SSA and the potential for improvement. In: Proceedings of the IITA/FAO Workshop, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Radhamani, S. (2001). Sustainable integrated farming system for dryland Vertisol of Western Zone of Tamil Nadu, Ph. D. Thesis, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
- Radhammani, S., Balasubramanian, A., Ramamoorthy, K. and Geethalakshmi, V. (2003). Sustainable integrated farming systems for dry lands: A review. Agricultural Reviews, 24:204-210.
- Rangaswamy, A., Venkitaswamy, R., Purushothaman and Palaniappan, S. P. (1996). Rice-Poultry – Fish – Mushroom integrated farming systems for lowlands of Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Agronomy, 41(3): 344-348.
- Ravi, K. (2004). Integrated farming: Boon for small and marginal farmers. Kurukshetra, 47 (9): 22-23.
- Reijntjes, C., Haverkort, B. and Waters-Bayer, A. (1992). Farming for the future: An introduction to low-external-input and sustainable agriculture. Macmillan, London, UK.
- Ruaysoongnern, S. and Suphanchaimant, N. (2001). Land-use patterns and agricultural production systems with emphasis on changes driven by economic forces and market integration. In: Kam, S.P., Hoanh, C.T., Trebuil, G. and Hardy, B. (Eds.). Natural resource management issues in the Korat basin of northeast Thailand: An Overview. Proceedings of the Planning Workshop on Ecoregional Approaches to Natural Resource Management in the Korat Basin, Northeast Thailand: Towards Further Research Collaboration, held on 26-29 October 1999, Khon Kaen, Thailand. Los Banos (Philippines): International Rice Research Institute. 67-77.
- Schierre, J. B., Ibrahim, M. N. M. and Van Keulen, H. (2002). The role of livestock for sustainability in mixed farming: Criteria and scenario studies under varying resources allocation. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 90:139-153.
- Singh K. P., Singh S. N., Kumar H., Kadian V. S. and Saxena K. K. (1993). Economic analysis of different farming systems followed on small and marginal land holdings in Haryana. Journal of Agronomy, 9:122-125.
- Thamrongwarangkul, A. (2001). Annual report on sustainable community development for good livelihoods and environmental project. Khon Kaen University, Thailand.
- Ugwumba, C. O. A., Okoh, R. N., Ike, P. C., Nnabuife, E. L. C. and Orji, E. C. (2010). Integrated farming system and its effect on farm cash income in Awka south agricultural zone of Anambra state, Nigeria. American-Eurasian Journal Agricultural & Environmental Science, 8(1): 1-6.
- Van Brakel, M. L., Morales, E. J., Turingruang, D. and Little D. C. (2003). Livelihood improving functions of pond based integrated agriculture and aquaculture systems. MRC Fisheries Programme (FP). Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Scotland, UK.
- Venkatadri, S., Swaroopa Rani, K. and Raghunadha Reddy, G. (2008). A study on improvement in rural livelihoods through dairy farming. Centre for Self Employment and Rural Enterprises. National Institute of Rural Development, Rajendranagar, Hyderabad – 500 030.
- Willett. I. R. (1995). Role of organic matter in controlling chemical properties and fertility of sandy soil used in lowland rice in Northeast Thailand. In: [R.D.B. Lefroy, Blair, G., and Craswell, E.T. (Eds.)]/ Soil Organic Matter Management for Sustainable Agriculture. ACIAR Proceedings 56, pp. 109-114.
All claims expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of their affiliated organizations, or those of the publisher, the editors and the reviewers. Any product that may be evaluated in this article or claim that may be made by its manufacturer is not guaranteed or endorsed by the publisher.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.