Studies on physiological responses of bullocks of tribal district of Odisha under varying drafts and seasons
Citation :- Studies on physiological responses of bullocks of tribal district ofOdisha under varying drafts and seasons .Indian Journal Of Animal Research.2016.(50):668-673
The present study was carried out to find out the effects of draft and seasons on the physiological responses of small sized Mottu (non-descript breed of bullocks of tribal districts of Odisha) bullocks (Pair weight-450 kg) in test track with the help of CIAE animal loading car at Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar, Odisha during summer, rainy and winter season in the year 2009. The study showed that rise of pulse rate was sharp from the initial values during 1st hour of work at all drafts and seasons except in case of 9 and 10 % drafts in winter season. But sharp rise of respiration rate was observed in summer season only. Thereafter, rise of pulse rate and respiration rate were gradual. Comparison of pulse rate, respiration rate and body temperature within seasons at a particular draft and duration revealed that season had significant effect on these parameters.
Animal loading car
Physiological responses of bullock.
- Acharya S., Mishra M and Nayak J.B. (1979). Working capacity and behaviour of cross breed versus non-descript indigenous bullocks under Orissa. Indian Journal of Dairy Sciences, 32: 37-42.
- Anonymous (2011). Census of India, (2011). Census Commissioner, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
- Anonymous (2010). Biennial Report (2008-10) of AICRP on Utilization of Animal Energy with Enhanced System Efficiency. Bhubaneswar Centre, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, 1-28.
- Astrand P.O. and Rodhal K. (1970). Textbook of Work Physiology. First Edition, McGraw Hill, New York.
- Behera B.K., Mohapatra A.K., Behera D and Swain S. (2008). Effect of draft and season on physiological responses of bullocks. Journal of Agricultural Engineering, 45: 33-39.
- Behera D, Behera B.K., Mohapatra A.K. and Swain S. (2006). Draft animal status in Orissa and its utilization pattern in few selected villages. Agricultural Engineering Today, 30.
- Belsare V.P. and Pande A.M. (1992). Physiological responses in crossbred and indigenous bullocks to graded workload. Ind. Vet. J., 69: 733-737.
- Devadattam D.S.K. and Maurya N.L. (1978). Draughtability of Hariana bullocks. Indian Journal of Dairy Sciences, 31: 120-127.
- Kasa I.W., Hill M.K., Thwaites C.J. and Baillie N.D. (1997). The effects of seasons (hot/dry and cool/humid) on thermo- regulatory responses of male and female Bali-cattle working in the field. Asian-Australasian J. Anim. Sci., 10: 64-69.
- Kumar B., Arora D.N. and Nargia O.P. (1996). Physiological changes in crossbred and Haryana bullocks during work. Indian J. Anim. Prod. Mgmt., 12: 40-44.
- Maurya N.L. and Devadattam D.S.K. (1982). Work performance of crossbred bullocks. Indian Journal of Dairy Sciences 35: 26-30.
- Rautarary S.K. and Srivastava N.S.L. (1982). Field performance of cross-bred bullocks in black soils during tillage operations in summer. Proceeding of National Seminar on ‘Draft Animal Power System in India’, IIM, Bangalore, July 16-17.
- Singh G. (1994). Weight matrix of Indian cattle and their draft power. Indian Journal of Agricultural Engineering, 4: 100-106.
- Singh R.C. (2000). Assessment of draft capacity of Malvi and local breeds of bullocks. Research Digest on Draft Animal Power Technology of AICRP on Utilization of Animal Energy with Enhanced System Efficiency, Bhopal Centre, Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering Bhopal.
- Singh S.P., Soni B.K. and Bhattacharya A. (1968). Physiological responses in Haryana bullocks while performing different types of agricultural operations. Indian Vet. J., 45: 34-39.
- Singh R.C. and Srivastava N.S.L. (2006). Development and performance evaluation of a conveyor belt type animal treadmill. Journal of Agricultural Engineering, 43: 93-96.
- Singh S.V. and Upadhyay R.C. (1996). Effect of different cartloads on some physiological and bio-chemical responses in cows. Indian Journal of Animal Production Management, 12: 104-108.
- Upadhyay R.C. and Madan M.L. (1985). Studies on blood acid-base status and muscle metabolism in working bullocks. Animal Production, 40: 11-16.
- Upadhyay R.C. and Madan M.L. (1986). Cardiac responses to work production under tropical conditions in bovines. Indian J. dairy Sci., 39: 388-393.
- Yadav A.S., Dhaka S.S. and Kumar B. (2001). Effect of working on physiological, biochemical and haematological parameters in Haryana bullocks. Asian Australasian J. Anim. Sci., 14: 1067-1072.