Studies on improvement of shelf life of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.)
Citation :- Studies on improvement of shelf life of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) .Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2015.(34):123-129
Experiment on improvement of shelf life of custard apple was conducted with polypropylene bags having different number of pores. Two varieties like Balanagar and Atemoya x Balanagar were tested for the improvement shelf life with polypropylene bags having different number of pores. The results raveled that significantly lowest PLW was recorded by treatment (T2) having 20 pores polypropylene bag but same was at par with Treatment T1 for Balanagar cultivar:, polypropylene bag without pores (T7) recorded significantly lowest PLW followed by Treatments T1, T3 and T2. Significantly lowest TSS was recorded for balanagar cultivar in polypropylene bags without pores (T7) and highest TSS was recorded by control (T8). Significantly lowest TSS was recorded in polypropylene bags without pores (T7) when tried for A x B Hybrid. Balanagar cultivar recorded highest Total sugar in control where as Treatment T6 recorded same when AXB Hybrid tried. Significantly lowest total sugars were recorded in polypropylene bags with 30 pores (T3) (13.44), but on par with polypropylene bags with 20 pores (T2) (13.60).
Atemoya x Balanagar ( A x B)
Physiological weight loss (PLW)
Total Soluble Solids (TSS)
- Beerh O P (1972) Consolidated project report on utilization of custard apple. CFTRI. Exp. Station, Hyderabad.
- Borkar P A Jadhao S D Bakane P H Borkar S L Murumkar R P (2008) Effect of ethylene absorbent and different packaging materials on storage life of banana. Asian Journal of Bio Science. 42:233-236.
- Chunprasert A, Uthairatanakij A and Wongs-Aree C (2006) Extending shelf-life of tropical fruits through ripening retardants. Acta Horticulturae 712 : pp 857-863.
- Davies J N and Hobson G E (1981) The constituents of tomato fruit. The influence of environment, nutrition and genotype. CRC, Critical Review of Food Science and Nutrition, CRC Press 15: 205-208.
- Gautam B and Neeraja G (2005) Effect of polythene bag storage on shelf life and quality of Banganapalli mangoes. Orissa Journal of Horticulture 33 (2): 89-93.
- Heining Y S (1975) Storage stability and quality of produce in polythene film. In post harvest biology and handling of fruits and vegetables. ((eds) by Haard N F and Salukhe D K,) pp 144-152.
- Hernandez J, Cabera J, Garan V, Marrero A, Rooriguez and Pastor C P (1993) Preliminery evaluation of the post harvest life of Cavendish banana cultivars. Acta Horticulture 343: 86-88.
- Ingale G S, Khedkar D M and Dabhade R S (1982) Physico-chemical changes during growth of sapota fruit (Achras sapota L.). Indian Food Packer 36: 86-94.
- Jalikop S H (2006) Custard apple, In: Hand book of Horticulture. (Ed. Chadha K L,)ICAR pub, New Delhi, India, pp 109-114.
- Kumbhar S S and Desai M T (1986) studies on shelf- life of sapota fruits. Journal of Maharashtra Agricultural University 11: 184-187.
- Manica I (1994) Fruitcultura. Cultivo das Anonaceas Ata, Cherimolia, Graviola. Porto Alegre: Evangraf.
- Martinez G, Serrano M, Pretel M T, Riqueleme F and Romojaro F (1993) Ethylene biosynthesis and physico-chemical changes during fruit ripening of cherimoya (Annona cherimola Mill.) Journal of Horticulture Science 68:, 477-483.
- Mukherjee and utta (1967) Delaying of postharvest ripening of mango by postharvest treatments of Calcium. Tropical Horticulture 68: 151-153.
- Rajput C B S (1985) Custard apple, In: Fruits of India-Tropical and subtropical, (Ed. T K Bose,) Naya prakash pub, Calcutta, India, pp 479-486.
- Reddy B S (2000) Crop improvement and standardization of propagation techniques in sitaphal. Annual technical report, 1999-2000. University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Salunkhe D K and Kadam S S (1995) Handbook of Fruit Science and Technology, Ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 81-83.
- Satyan S, Scott K J and Graham D (1920) Storage of banana bunches in sealed polyethylene tubes. Journal of Horticulture Science. 67: 2, 51-53.
- Shanta Krishnamurthy and Subramanyam H( 1970) Respiratory climacteric and chemical changes in the mango fruit (Mangifera indica L.). Journal of American Society of Horticultural Science 95 (3): 333-337.
- Singh 1980 Effect of certain postharvest treatments on the storage life and quality of mango cv. Zardalu. Indian food packer Nov-Dec: 46
- Tsay L M and Wu M C (1989) Studies on the post harvest physiology of sugar apple Acta Horticulturae 258: 287-294.
- Vishnu Prasanna K N, Sudhakar Rao D V and Shantha Krishnamurthy (2000) Effect of storage temperatrure on ripening and quality of custard apple (Annona squamosa L.) fruits. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 75 (5): 546-550.
- Waskar D P, Nikam S K and Garande V K (1998) Effect of different packaging materials on storage behaviour of sapota under room temperature and cool chamber. Indian Journal of Agricultural Research 33(4): 240-244.
- Wills R B H, Poi A, Greenfield H and Rigency C J (1984) postharvest changes in fruit composition of Annona atemoya during ripening and effects of storage temperature on ripening. Hort. Sci. 19: 1, 96-97.
- Wills R B H, Warton M A, Mussa D M D N and Chew L P ( 2001) Ripening of climacteric fruits initiated at low ethylene levels. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 41 (1): 89-92.