Effect of thermal processing and chemical preservatives on the physicochemical and phytochemical parameters of carrot juice
Citation :- Effect of thermal processing and chemical preservatives on the physicochemical and phytochemical parameters of carrot juice.Asian Journal Of Dairy and Food Research.2015.(34):146-150
Carrot is an excellent source of b-carotene and antioxidants.. Carrot is a cool season crop and during the harvesting season, large quantities get spoiled due to excess production. So a long term preservation method is required that could be useful to prevent spoilage of carrot such that it could be consumed in off seasons as well. Keeping in view the nutrirional and therapeutic value of carrots carrot, juice was processed and treated with different chemical additives and tested for various physichochemical, phytochemical characteristics and antioxidant activity. At the end of storage period of six months, KMS treated samples were found to retain the maximum nutritional quality. There was significant (p£0.05) increase in the shelf stability of the chemically preserved juices than the thermally treated samples.
- AOAC (2000). Official Methods of Analysis. 17th ed. Association of official Analytical Chemists, Washington. DC.
- Bahkru H.K. (1993). Foods that Heal-The Natural Way to Good Health. Orient Paper Backs, Delhi.
- Brand-Williams W., Cuvelier M.E. and Berset C. (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT- Food Sci. Technol., 28: 25-30.
- Chadha R., Kumbhar B.K. and Sarkar B.C. (2003). Enzymatic hydrolysis of carrot for increased juice recovery. J. Food Sci. Technol., 40:35-39.
- Chen B.H., Peng H.Y. and Chen H.E. (1996). Stability of carotenoids and vitamin A during storage of carrot juice. Food Chem., 57:497-03.
- Demir N., Acar J. and Savas B.K. (2004). Effect of storage on quality of carrot juice produced with lactofermentation and acidification. Eur. Food Res. Technol., 218:465-68.
- Dhaliwal M. and Hira C. K. (2001). Effect of storage on physic-chemical and nutritional characteristics of carrot-beetroot and Carrot-black carrot juices. J. Food Sci. Technol., 38:343-47.
- Halliwell B. and Aruoma O.I. (1991). DNA damage by oxygen derived species: its mechanism and measurement in mammalian systems. FEBS Letters, 281: 9-19.
- Heldman D.R. and Singh R.P. (1981). Food Process Engineering. AVI Publishing Co., New York.
- Kaur M., Sharma H.K. and Bala J. (2012). Kinetic changes in quality attributes of stored carrot-pineapple blended juice. Indian Food Pack., 66:32- 43.
- Kidmose U., Edelenbos M., Nobaek R. and Christensen L.P. (2002). Colour stability in vegetables. In: MacDougall D B Colour in Food: Improving Quality (ed).. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida. Pp 179-232
- Kinh S.A.E.H., Dunne C.P. and Hoover D.G. (2001). Preparation and preservation of apple pulp with chemical preservatives and mild heat. J. Food Protect., 28: 111-14.
- Klimczak I., Matecka M., Szlachta M. and Gliszczynska- Swiglo A. (2007). Effect of storage on the content of polyphenols, Vitamin C and the antioxidant activity of orange juices. J. Food Compos. Anal., 20: 313-22.
- Kulwal L.V., Patwardhan M.V. and Sulladmath U.V. (1985). Studies on chemical changes and corrosion in canned products of papaya. Indian Food Pack., 39: 33-37.
- Negi P.S. and Roy K. (2000). Effect of blanching and drying method on carotene, ascorbic acid and chlorophyll retention of leafy vegetables. LWT- Food Sci. Technol., 33: 295-98.
- Ranganna S. (1986). Handbook of Analysis and Quality Control for Fruit and Vegetables Product. Tata McGraw Hill Pub Co. Ltd., New Delhi, India.
- Sharma H.K., Kaur J., Sarkar B.C., Singh C. and Singh B. (2009). Effect of pretreatment conditions on physicochemical parameters of carrot juice. Int. J. Food. Sci. Technol., 44:1-9.
- Singleton V.L., Orthofer R. and Lamuelaraventós R.M. (1999). Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Methods Enzymol., 299: 152–78.
- Vallverdu-Queralt A., Arranz S., Medina-Remon A., Casals-Ribes I. and Lamuela- Raventos R.M. (2011). Changes in phenolic content of tomato products during storage. J. Agric. Food Chem., 59: 9359-65.
- Wrolstad R.E. (2004). Anthocyanin pigments-bioactivity and coloring properties. J. Food Sci., 69:419–21.
- Yoon K.Y., Cha M., Shin S.R. and Kim K.S. (2005). Enzymatic production of a soluble-fiber hydrolyzate from carrot pomace and its sugar composition. Food Chem., 92:151–57.